Thursday, June 4, 2009

Welcome!


Hi there! Welcome to shumba blog spot! Ok so this is new to me.. please bear with me! Let me start by introducing myself... My name is Hayley Rogers. In 2001, at the age of 21, I relapsed with Hodgkin's Disease and flew to Cape Town where I underwent chemotherapy, radiotherapy and a bone marrow transplant! During the year and a bit of treatment, I began to play with felt and beads as a therapeutic exercise. I became passionate about stitching and the nurses were obliged to negotiate time with their needles in order for me to have time with my own needles!! Gradually the quirky designs invited interest from people and they were stuck onto cards and eventually sold to help raise funds for my treatment. Shumba Inc. was born!

In 2003, after a full recovery into remission, I returned home to Zimbabwe, where there was an overwhelming sense of disparity and hopelessness. Encouraged
by the love and support of my family and community, and feeling a strong urge to give back to the community from which i came, my pastime grew into a full on philanthropical business, creating skills and income for the local community. With the help, patience and support of my mom and sister, the business has grown over the past 6 years, despite the political and economical melt down in Zimbabwe.

There are now between twenty and thirty sewers, stitching and beading hope and positivity into the unique, high quality designs! The majority of the money earned by the sewers goes towards food provisions, schooling, medical care and general survival expenses. We work on a fair 'Pay per piece' scheme which encourages self motivation and offers people the chance to work at their own pace.

All of our products are of a very high quality and we have supplied various high end stores successfully over the past 4 years. We have also featured at Design Indaba for the last 3years as well as being represented at Maison d'objet in Paris for the last 2 years.

Our ethos is 'Empowerment through Creativity'.

No comments:

Post a Comment